Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Experimenting with Pageflakes

Pageflakes is the name of one of the new social networking types of web-based communication tools that are becoming known as web 2.0. Basically, it's a tool to create a new type of webpage that organizes all of the other webpages an individual or organization make use of frequently. Your Pageflakes page is made up of little movable segments that direct you to other websites or webpages you think are useful. Each movable segment is called a "flake" (like a snowflake). In particular, it's meant to be a way to organize blogs and podcasts that utilize RSS feeds or other technologies that "broadcast" new information to users or "readers" on a regular basis.

I've created an experimental page for the class that might replace my existing blog as the class "homepage." My thinking is that when the students open a browser, the first thing they'll see is one page that gives them some useful tools like a dictionary and calendar, links to frequent pages that they need to visit in class, a list of the day's assignments, and other useful links to webpages and blogs of interest that constantly update themselves. You can check out this first attempt at http://www.pageflakes.com/barry.bakin/12217248 and let me know what you think!

(The "flake" at the bottom right of the page is also an experiment. It's supposed to be a "mini" webpage. To see the complete page you have to click on the icon at the upper right of the flake to view it in a new browser. I'm comparing it to the "list of links" for ease of use by my students.)

1 comment:

Nancy A. McKeand said...

I love your Pageflakes page! It is much more visually appealing than a blog and easier to navigate. And I can see almost unlimited possibilities for this with a class.

I have used Nicenet and blogs and wikis and Moodle with my students. While they all have their place, I can see making that place be Pageflakes! It is an easy way to coordinate all the things you have students do online. I will definitely try it out with a class. Thanks for the tip and the concrete example of how it could be done.