Monday, April 21, 2008

Inspired by CATESOL 2008

I always try to implement at least one idea that I've seen at a conference within the first week after my return to the classroom. Sometimes it's more! The idea that I'm trying out came to me after attending the session on using PowerPoint presented by Beth Bogage and Jim Brice of San Diego Community College. Their workshop focused on having students prepare PowerPoint presentations enhanced by their own narration. Now I've been having students make PowerPoint presentations for several years, but they've usually involved preparing slides to accompany oral presentation of research they've carried out in class. Inspired by Beth and Jim, I've decided to have the students make two versions of their PowerPoint presentations from now on: one without narration to accompany their "in-front-of-class" presentations, and one with narration that can "stand alone" so anybody viewing the presentation will see the slides and hear the students explaining their research. Beth and Jim also suggested that students be encouraged to speak extemporaneously (as opposed to reading) and I've instructed the students to do that as much as possible. So far, the idea seems to have been well-received, and I'm getting my first student projects with narration to check. You can see the first one by clicking here, and the second one that was completed by clicking here.


Thank you Beth and Jim for your presentation!

2 comments:

Nancy A. McKeand said...

Thanks, Barry! You have given me an idea to try, too!

Anonymous said...

Good idea, Barry. I'll give it a try and pass it along to my teachers, too!

I also attended a presentation that Beth gave on using "This I Believe" (NPR) in the ESL classroom. I was so impressed with her creativity, skills, and spirit. She inspired us to give it a try at my adult school. http://adultedmatters.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/esl-tip-online-radio-essays-on-npr/
Martha