Wednesday, March 11, 2009

CUE 2009

I just returned from the CUE (Computer Using Educators) conference this past weekend, and as usual, picked up several good ideas that I can start using right away in the classroom. My hands-on workshop didn't go as well as I would have liked because of the difference between the version of Microsoft Office that I use in the classroom (2003) and the version of Microsoft Office that was loaded on the computers at the conference (2007). Frankly, I was caught by surprise. It hadn't even occurred to me to ask this year, since last year the computers had 2003. I guess the equipment provider upgraded all of the software in the meantime. I stumbled around and had to ask participants how to do some things. It was not as professional as I would have liked. Fortunately, most understood the problem and appreciated the projects I showed them anyway. Part of the paradox of the situation is, of course, that even if I had demonstrated the projects using the latest version of PowerPoint or Excel or whatever, most of the teachers present would still have to go back to classrooms where they would have to do the projects in 2003 anyway! From now on, I will have to see what version of Office will be on the "lab" computers, and prepare dual handouts. One handout for the version of Office in the lab, and one handout for what the teachers will see when the get back to their classroom.

I should also note, that it is fairly obvious (when done side by side in both versions of Office) that some procedures are NOT easier to do in 2007 and many of the icons and arrangement of the menu items are NOT transparent to the user...

2 comments:

J Sotir said...

I do so agree with you about Office 2003/07 differences. It used to be a simple paste to add videos to PowerPoint. In version 2007 it took me over an hour to figure out how to do it, and realized that adding a Flash app required adding a 'Developer' tab, going into the controls of that tab to find the correct icon (and then realizing what I needed was 'more controls'), scrolling to 'Flash object', drawing a box, right clicking on properties, clicking on 'movies' from the drop down menu and finally adding the You Tube URL AFTER it had been modified to eliminate 'watch?' and replacing '=' with '/'.
I remember having to write code that was simpler than doing this technique. If Office 2007 is truly made for Web 2.0, then it needs to be much more transparent in how it functions.

barryb said...

I'm at TESOL 2009 this week. Just did a similar presentation. The computers here had BOTH Office 2003 and 2007 loaded on them ...